Who lives, works, and plays in Vancouver? What are the trends reshaping our city?
Reference DocumentsDownload the two reference documents and explore the various components that will go into the Vancouver Plan, inspiring The Future We Want.
Vancouver Today: The City at a Glance
View a snapshot of the city today using a variety of data sources, giving a brief overview of the lands we live on, the people who live here, and the ways in which people live, work, play and get around in the city.
Vancouver Today: Reference Guide
Take a detailed look at the city today, covering key topics such as culture, climate, the environment, housing, transportation, the economy and utilities. In addition to providing topic-specific data, the Reference Guide also draws on what we heard during Phase 1 of Planning Vancouver Together, aligning ‘what we heard’ with ‘what we know’ from available data.
Upcoming: Scenario Planning
The Vancouver Plan is using scenario planning and public engagement to inform the creation of our policies. Scenario planning is a process that examines a set of fictitious but plausible futures, and the choices and tradeoffs we must make now to pursue or avoid them. This systematic approach helps to navigate the uncertainty of the future in the short and long term. It is a tool to ensure the decisions we are making today are resilient and can withstand any future situation to allow Vancouver to thrive.
The Horizon Scan background document presents the results of a systematic process of gathering information about the future. It identifies some conceivable external forces that may impact urban conditions in Vancouver.
Starting in early 2021, public consultation will focus on Vancouver’s readiness for the challenges and implications envisioned through five exploratory scenarios, which will be presented as plausible futures.
Presentations and ReportsSee past presentations and reports to City Council
MediaNews Releases and Video
- February 17 2021 – Vancouver Plan hosts multiple engagement opportunities throughout the spring
- November 9 2020 – Launching the next phase of public engagement to develop the Vancouver Plan.
- October 7, 2020 – 12,000 voices help shape the direction of city-wide planning
- June 25, 2020 – Planning Vancouver Together embraces community recovery planning
- March 11, 2020 – Over 10,000 responses guide initial city-wide planning process
- July 17, 2019 – Vancouver to launch a city-wide planning and consultation process this fall
- November 15, 2018 – Vancouver to embark on new City plan process